Friday, July 12, 2013

Fireworks




Disclaimer:  I don’t own any of the characters from Twilight!! 

“I don’t really celebrate Independence Day,” I grouched from behind the counter at work.  I regretted telling Jacob where I worked he was constantly up here telling me his business and talking about his little imprint.  I really didn’t care.  I was grateful that he’d left me alone long enough to go to community college and get my pharmacy tech license.  I was off the Res but the curse of the supernatural still followed me and was currently standing in front of me and in the way of me serving the two customers behind him.  “Jake move!  Hi Ms. Miller I can help you over here.”  As I rang up her order Jacob just stood and stared at me patiently.  It was unnerving, I felt like I was on showcase or something.  After I finished he slid back over in front of me. 

“Come on Leah, you don’t do anything anymore and I know you like fireworks.  It will be fun and I know Renesmee will be happy to see you?”  Renesmee, this is why he was bothering me.  He wanted his little Nessie to be happy.  It had been years since I’d seen the little girl.  She probably wasn’t a little girl any longer. 

“I may swing by later … now can I work in peace?”  I huffed with my hands on my hips.  He gave his famous smirk and winked at me before leaving. 

After work I went to my apartment and changed into some jeans shorts and a tee shirt and went over to Mr. Black’s house.  I felt like I’d traveled back in time.  I’d grown so much and forced myself to change back into the woman that had been scorned and burned by the harsh realities of imprints, fate, and death.  I’d even grown my hair back out and I hadn’t phased in almost three months. 

“Oh sweetheart!” My mother came running out of the small crowd and hugged me.  I talk to my mom on a regular basis but it had been a long time since she’d seen me.  She kissed both of my cheeks and took me to where she was standing with Charlie, Seth, Jacob, Ness, and him.  He was tall dark and incredibly handsome.  He looked down at me and offered me a small smile. 

“You must be Leah, you’re mother talks about you constantly,” he offered his hand to me and in a trance like sort of fashion I gave him my hand.  As our hands touched a tingle or a spark of sorts went through my hand, up my arm and connected with my heart.  I was speechless.  I could hear someone in the background indicating the start of the fireworks, but all sounded like fuzz in my head.  Everything blurred around me but him. 

“Who are you?” I asked in a voice that sounded so unlike me that I could barely stand it. 

“I’m Nahuel, and you are …” In the middle of his statement the fireworks went off and the night sky was filled with red, white, and blue. 

“It’s beautiful,” I looked up at the sky in amazement. I’d forgotten how beautiful fireworks could be.
 
“Yes, you are.” I glanced back over to the handsome stranger who stared at me with as much awe and admiration as I did the sky.  Heat flooded my face this was a feeling that I hadn’t felt in a long time.

(Originally for Tricky Raven 500 Drabble Challenge!)

No comments:

Post a Comment